What is official information?
Under the Official Information Act 1982, official information includes information held by:
- A Minister of the Crown in his or her official capacity (not as a Member of Parliament)
- A government department listed in Part 1 of Schedule 1 of the Ombudsmen Act 1975 (e.g. Department of Conservation and Ministry for the Environment)
- An organisation listed in Part 2 of Schedule1 of the Ombudsmen Act 1975 or Schedule 1of the Official Information Act (e.g. Environmental Protection Authority)
Under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987, official information includes information held by:
- A local authority (which includes city, district and regional councils, territorial authorities, community boards, and others)
Official information includes material held in any format including:
- Written documents, reports, memoranda, letters, emails, and notes;
- Non-written documentary information, such as material stored on a computer, video recording, or mobile device;
- Information which is known to an agency but which has not yet been recorded in writing or otherwise.
Section 2 Official Information Act 1982
Section 2 Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987
Last updated at 11:21AM on March 6, 2015