Minister and Ministry for the Environment
The Ministry for the Environment was established under the Environment Act 1986. It is the principal advisor to the government on environmental matters within New Zealand and on international matters that affect the country’s environment. The Ministry is focused on developing and providing a national environmental management system, including laws, regulations, national policy statements and national environmental standards.
The Minister for the Environment has a number of functions under the Resource Management Act. These include:
- Initiating and recommending the adoption of National Policy Statements and National Environmental Standards
- Approving National Planning Standards
- Intervening in a matter or making a direction for a matter that is a proposal of national significance
- Recommending the making of water conservation orders
- Approving requiring authorities and heritage protection agencies
- Monitoring the effect and implementation of the RMA, national policy statements, national planning standards and water conservation orders
- Monitoring and investigating matters of environmental significance
- Investigating the performance of local authorities and responding to any failures in performance
- Developing regulations for matters relating to the administration and implementation of the Resource Management Act
- Awarding grants and loans to assist in achieving the purpose of the Act and
- Enabling the Minister to require local authorities and others specified to supply information about the exercise of any of its functions, powers, or duties.
The Minister for the Environment is also charged with developing regulations under the Exclusive Economic Zone and Continental Shelf (Environmental Effects) Act 2012.
The Ministry for the Environment produces the Everyday Guide to the RMA Series: https://environment.govt.nz/publications/?type=18_169&topic=17_27
For more information: www.environment.govt.nz
Sections 24 to 26 of the Resource Management Act 1991
Sections 27 to 30 of the Exclusive Economic Zone and Continental Shelf (Environmental Effects) Act 2012
Last updated at 11:29AM on August 25, 2021